Gifting a Car in Kansas

Find out if you're getting ripped off on your car insurance in less than two minutes.
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Sarah Williams
· 3 min read
Gifting a car in Kansas can be a complicated process involving a lot of paperwork. Not only that, but depending on the vehicle, you may also need to conduct a vehicle inspection.
  • The process to properly gift a car in Kansas involves filling out forms, transferring the title, and making sure there is a bill of receipt proving who now owns the car. 
  • Fees apply to transfer ownership, but these are minimal in Kansas. 
  • Always discuss the terms of your gift with the recipient so you both understand who’s responsible for ownership costs, like fuel and
    Kansas car insurance
    , going forward.

How to buy a new vehicle as a gift in Kansas

The easiest way to give a new car as a gift is to bring the recipient with you to the dealership. That way, they can choose the right car and financing for them. 
One benefit of gifting a new car: Knowing the vehicle has no lienholder. Any
remaining liens
will prevent you from transferring the title, as all loans must be paid off before you can do this. 
Regardless of whether you buy a used or new car for someone, you get the added bonus of collaborating with them on what they want and can afford to maintain. 
Key Takeaway: Bringing your giftee to the dealership is a great way to help them find the right car and financing options. 

How to gift a used car in Kansas

If you’re looking to transfer ownership of the family car, you can transfer a vehicle you already own to your recipient. 
Family or not, gifting a used vehicle can be a complicated process. Here are the steps.

Negotiate the terms of the gift with your recipient

Gifting a vehicle comes with both immediate and long-term financial responsibility. Negotiating the terms of the gift is a great place to start. 
Title transfer cost: In the state of Kansas, a transfer title fee of $10 applies. Add on another $10 if you require a duplicate title. You can reference the DMV’s
fee calculator
to estimate any other possible extra fees.
Discuss other ownership costs: Make sure you have an understanding of who’s paying for car maintenance, insurance, fuel, and any other expenses associated with the car. The last thing you want is to give a vehicle that your recipient can’t afford to maintain in the long run. 

Record the gift with a bill of sale

Having a bill of sale is an important step, regardless of whether the car was bought or gifted. With a bill of sale, you have a legal record of your transaction that protects you from potential legal consequences in the future. 
Make sure that both you and your recipient sign the bill of sale to indicate that you both agree to the terms of the gift. 

Transfer the vehicle title 

With gifting a vehicle, each party has a set of tasks to make the gift official and transfer the car title. 
Here's what you need to complete a Kansas title transfer:
  • Vehicle Gift Certification: Fill out this section of the
    Affidavit to a Fact (TR-12)
    and give it to the giftee. In the “purchase price space,” the Kansas Department of Revenue instructs you to write “gift.” If the giftee is a family member, you will fill out an
    Affidavit of Relationship (TR-215)
  • Remove license plates: Once you’ve transferred the title and delivered the vehicle to its new owner, remove the old license plates.
  • Seller’s Notification of Sale: Complete Form TR-216 and mail it in along with the $10 fee. Mail it to the address found on the form. 
  • Lien release: You must submit a lien release only if there is an outstanding lien on the vehicle. 
  • Complete all information on the vehicle title: The only thing you leave blank here is the giftee’s printed name and signature.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement
    : This statement notes the vehicle’s odometer reading at the time of transfer and is only required if the car is 20 years old or newer. 
For more guidance, you can check with your local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office.
If you are receiving a gifted vehicle, you need to submit the following to the local Kansas DOR office:
  • Proof of insurance: Valid Kansas insurance is required to have the certificate of title transferred to your name. 
  • Motor vehicle examination: If you have been gifted a vehicle from out of state, you will need to provide a motor vehicle examination (Form MVE-1). 
  • Affidavit to a Fact: Submit this completed section of Form TR-12. If you are related to the gifter, fill out an
    Affidavit of Relationship (TR-215)
  • Payment: Submit all applicable vehicle title transfer fees. 

Conduct a vehicle inspection 

In Kansas, a vehicle inspection is required on certain vehicles before title transfers and vehicle registration is possible.
You will need to visit an inspection station if your car: 
  • Has an out-of-country or out-of-state title or bill of sale
  • Is an antique model from 1950 onwards, purchased in Kansas
  • Is titled as non-highway—with no liability coverage—or a salvaged vehicle
  • Has a boat trailer weighing 2,001 pounds or more that has never been titled in Kansas
“I was paying $350 a month for my new car. With
, I set up a new policy in under 30 minutes that will save me over $1000 a year!” —Mariah K.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms
Find insurance savings


If the gifted car was purchased recently from outside of Kansas, you must get a VIN inspection before you title and register your vehicle. You will also need a VIN inspection if your car has been assembled or is homemade. 
In this case, the inspection may require additional paperwork outlining the history of the different parts used in the vehicle.
Compare Car Insurance Quotes For Free
Jerry automatically shops for your insurance before every renewal. Members save $872/year.
rating primary
Rating on App Store
Start saving money!
12,000+ Reviews
Trusted by 3.5M car owners like you

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings