Do car insurance companies accept international licenses?

I'm going to be moving to the U.S. soon and will need to drive. My family has a car I can drive, but I won't have a U.S. license. Am I still able to get car insurance?

“Some car insurance companies offer policies for drivers with international licenses, but many may refuse. If you can find someone to give you a policy, you will almost certainly need to possess an International Driver’s Permit along with your foreign license.
Many states are also making the process easier for international students and immigrants to get a driver’s license. Check with your state’s DMV to find out more about the process.
Once you get to the US, you’ll need to shop around to find the best rate. A few major insurers that offer policies for foreign drivers include:
You can also use the Jerry app to compare dozens of rates to save some cash for expenses in your new home.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.