Should I get rental car insurance for a cross-country trip if I don't have personal car insurance?

I'm moving from New York to California. I don't have a car. To make the move easier, I've rented a minivan. The rental insurance is expensive, about $250, but I also have a collision damage waiver through my credit card. Should I opt for additional coverage if I don't have personal auto insurance?

“Yes, you should unequivocally take out every insurance option offered by the rental car company minus the collision damage waiver you have on your credit card.
Keep in mind that a collision damage waiver is just that—it only covers a collision if someone hits you or if a thief swipes your vehicle. It doesn’t cover basic liability such as property damage or bodily injury suffered by others.
While $250 may seem steep, you’ll be driving through unknown territory, meaning the chances of getting into an accident will be higher. To put this in perspective, just think about it like this: would you pay $250 for car insurance if it might end up saving you $50,000?”
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies