What do I do if I damage someone's property while driving?

"I crashed through someone's fence because I hit the gas instead of the brake. Will my insurance cover it?

I have $25,000 in property damage on my policy."

“Your property damage liability is designed to provide coverage for you if you damage someone else’s property. This includes an object or another vehicle.
Since you have $25,000 in coverage, your insurance should cover up to that amount. Once that is exhausted, you will be responsible for any remaining costs.
To cover your vehicle, you’ll need collision insurance on your policy. This covers any damage done to your vehicle in a collision with another vehicle or object. If you don’t have this on your policy, you’ll be responsible for any damage done to your vehicle.
If you haven’t already, you’ll want to reach out to your car insurance carrier to file a claim. They’ll be able to tell you what’s covered on your policy and what to do next.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free