What can I do if an at-fault driver's insurance won't pay for a claim because the car isn't on the policy?

The other party's insurance won't pay because they said that the vehicle isn't covered on their current policy. I have collision coverage and can submit a claim with my insurance, but want to avoid having to pay my deductible. Can I get the other driver to pay for the damage?

“If the other driver showed proof of insurance at the time of the accident, police might not have realized that it wasn’t for the vehicle involved. You can try to have your insurance company reach out to the driver to see if the vehicle has insurance under a different policy.
If not, you should see if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your current policy. If you do, you would be able to get the damage on your vehicle fixed without paying your collision coverage deductible.
WIthout uninsured motorist coverage, you will be required to pay your collision deductible to get your vehicle repaired.
The only other option would be to try to pursue legal action against the other driver. However, this could be a long process and you’d still have to pay to get your vehicle repaired initially. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.