How do I sanitize leather car seats?
I use my car for Uber, and with COVID going around, I want to keep myself safe. How do I sanitize leather car seats?
Good job being cautious! Cleaning and sanitizing leather car seats require a bit of special attention to avoid damaging your leather.
The key to protecting your leather seat surfaces from damage is to avoid harsh cleaners and sanitizers. Mild soap and warm water should do the trick for cleaning leather. The soap will break down the lipid layer that covers viruses, which will kill pathogens by dissolving their fatty membranes.
Follow this process to clean and sanitize leather car seats:
- Protect your hands with a pair of latex or disposable gloves.
- Soak a non-abrasive sponge or microfiber cloth in a warm water and soap mixture.
- Scrub the seat for at least 30 seconds, making sure to pay special attention to heavily soiled areas. Be sure not to oversaturate the seats to avoid any potential water damage or mold and mildew.
- Dry with a clean, soft towel.
- Invest in a leather conditioner and apply it to the seats to prevent cracking as they dry.
- Crack your windows to make sure the leather fully dries.
Just like that, your leather seats should be cleaned, sanitized, and ready for your next rider.
Did you know that rideshare drivers need a special type of insurance for their vehicles? To find the coverage you need at a competitive price, use the Jerry app. Jerry sends personalized quotes to your smartphone in minutes. And, it’s free to get quotes!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I replace weather stripping on car windows?
My 2005 Mercury has been leaking around the windows when it rains. How do I replace weather stripping on car windows?
Nov 16, 2021
How do you clean out your car radiator?
My car has been acting up a bit recently. My father, who is a retired mechanic, said the radiator needs to be cleaned out and flushed. Typically, my dad would have just done it for me, but he no longer lives in the area and said I should be able to do it myself. I know a bit about cars, but how do you clean out your car’s radiator?
Nov 15, 2021
Can you tell me how to get snow off your car without a brush?
My car is black, so I’m afraid using a brush will cause scratching. How do I remove snow off my car without a brush?
Nov 16, 2021