Can an insurance adjuster close an accident claim without a settlement?

"My husband and I were in an accident and the at-fault driver's insurance paid for our vehicle and medical costs.

It's time for us to settle for pain and suffering and we countered their offer with three times the cost of our medical care. The adjuster thought this wasn't reasonable and threatened to close our case. Can they do that? "

“The adjuster cannot legally close your car insurance claim without some type of agreement. This means you’ll either need to negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit against the other driver.
If the adjuster isn’t willing to accept your counteroffer, you’ll need to prove why this is a reasonable number. This can include proof of any type of care you received or will need to receive in the future due to the accident.
Depending on the type of medical care you’re still receiving, the insurance company may be valuing that care at a lower amount. This often is the case for massage therapy, chiropractic treatment, or acupuncture.
If you provide the adjuster with proof to justify your counteroffer and they still reject it, you’ll need to decide what you want to do next. It may be worth consulting a lawyer to receive a second opinion on the case. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free