Is it necessary to have PIP, medical payments, and uninsured motorist coverage on my policy for my Hyundai Palisade?

I have all three on my current auto policy. I don't really know what they cover and if it's necessary that I have all of them. I don't have health insurance, if that matters.

“Since you don’t have health insurance, personal injury protection (PIP) is an important coverage to have. PIP will cover your medical expenses if you’re injured in an auto accident, regardless of fault. PIP will cover your passengers’ injuries as well.
Having a high coverage limit for PIP will ensure you won’t have to pay out of pocket for medical expenses.
Medical payment coverage is considered secondary coverage to PIP. Medical payments coverage often covers expenses that PIP does not. PIP is also mandatory in some states, while medical payments coverage is not.
Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if the other driver in an accident doesn’t have insurance. Your insurance will cover any injuries you may have, but it only applies if the other driver is at fault.
If you can comfortably afford to have all three types of coverage on your policy, then you should keep them. When it comes to car insurance, you can never really be over-insured.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free