If I just moved to a different state, should I switch my car insurance to my new state of residency?

I just moved from Nevada to California. I want to know if I can still keep my Nevada car insurance, especially if the rates in Nevada are cheaper. Am I required to switch my insurance to my new state of residency?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 13, 2021
“If you moved states, you’re going to need to switch both your registration and your car insurance to your new state of residence. Failing to switch car insurance to your new state just to save money is a form of fraud, so it’s in your best interest to follow the law.
The good news is that the average cost of liability insurance in California ($611) is cheaper than in Nevada ($836), so you may actually save quite a bit. To save even more, make sure to get some car insurance quotes online to find the best rate possible.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies