How can I avoid paying car insurance?
For years I’ve been paying what feels like an arm and a leg for car insurance, and I’m pretty fed up with it. Is there a way I can just avoid paying for car insurance altogether?
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had such a bad experience, but unfortunately, if you plan on driving, you will need car insurance in most states. While you can’t avoid paying car insurance, though, there are several ways to cut your insurance costs. Here are some of the best ones:
- Check out the Jerry app. The Jerry app uses the information you provide to match you with the best insurance quotes for the best prices. On average, our users save around $879 a year on insurance and we’ll also re-shop your policy every few months. That way, you can always be sure that you’re getting the best price!
- Be a safe driver. Many companies offer safe drivers discounts between 10 and 23 percent. Companies like Progressive, GEICO, and State Farm offer features that can monitor your driving habits and offer you savings accordingly.
- Take a defensive driving course. Some insurance companies will offer a discount for those who complete an approved defensive driving course - this can also reduce points on your license.
- Increase your deductibles. If you choose to take on higher deductibles, the overall cost of your premium will decrease. However, choosing to do so will increase the amount you’ll be responsible for if you are in an accident.
- Switch to Pay-as-You-Go insurance. If you are a safe, low mileage driver, a usage-based program could dramatically cut your insurance costs. Consider Allstate’s Drivewise, Progressive’s Snapshot, or State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save. By signing up for these programs, you let your insurer track your driving through a telemetric device installed in your car in exchange for possible discounts based on how much, when, and how well you drive. If you drive fewer than 10,000 miles a year, you might be able to save money with this type of program.
Hope this helps, and happy saving!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you remove car wax residue?
I’m trying to prepare my car for a different kind of wax, and I’m encountering some greasy residue from the old wax that’s making the process really slow. How can I remove the wax residue from my car?
Dec 29, 2021
How can I order a new car from the factory?
I’m in the market for a new car for my wife, and she has a lot of specifications and features she would like, but I just can’t seem to find a car that has them all. Is there a way I can order a custom-made vehicle straight from the factory?
Dec 29, 2021
How do you add yourself to your parents’ car insurance?
I’m moving back home to save some money for a while, and I know that if I live at the same address as my parents, I can be a part of their policy. Is there a way that I can just add myself to my parents’ car insurance policy?
Dec 29, 2021