Does my husband need to submit a PIP claim after a medical episode?

"My husband experience a medical episode while driving, which caused an accident. He was taken to the hospital and had to stay for a few days, but he wasn't injured in the accident.

Our car insurance sent us paperwork about the hospitalization and accident. Do we need to submit a PIP claim to our insurance? Or should it just go through our health insurance?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“Since the medical episode occured while your husband was driving and it caused an accident, you’ll need to file a personal injury protection (PIP) claim with your auto insurance company. Personal injury protection is designed to cover any medical expenses due to an accident.
While your husband wasn’t injured in the accident, there may be some coverage offerd by your auto policy. If your husband was taken to the hospital in an ambulance from the scene of the accident, this would likely be covered by auto insurance.
Even if nothing is covered, the claim must be submitted to your car insurance first. Personal injury protection is always considered tobe primary coverage, while health insurance is considered to be secondary.
If your car insurance denies the claim, you can then submit it through your health insurance. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies