Do I need different car insurance to deliver food?

I got into an accident on a food delivery and the police said that both drivers are at fault for the accident. My car insurance said I might not be covered because I was on a delivery. Is that true?

“The short answer is: it depends. Whether you are driving for a delivery app service or a mom-and-pop pizzeria, it will depend on your insurance provider.
Depending on your insurance company, you may need a commercial policy instead of a personal policy to use your vehicle for business, even infrequently. If you are not covered for deliveries, your insurance company will deny coverage for the claim. They would send you a written denial of coverage when their investigation is complete.
You may be able to file a claim through the other party’s insurance. This would depend on your state’s comparative negligence laws.
When getting quotes for a commercial delivery policy, keep in mind that a rideshare policy is different. Rideshare is for companies like Uber and Lyft and can be covered on a standard policy. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free