Do I have to switch my car insurance to a new state if I'm in the military and get stationed in a different state?

I was living in New Jersey, but the military recently sent me orders to report to a base in North Carolina. I know that you're usually supposed to switch car insurance to the state that you reside in. Do I have to do this as an active member of the military?

“If you were a civilian, you’d definitely have to switch your car insurance to your new state of residence. However, most insurance companies— especially the best providers for military members—probably won’t require it unless you’re being stationed for several years.
If you’re unsure, call your car insurance provider and ask. They’ll tell you if you need to switch your insurance or if you can leave it as is.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 22, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free