Am I liable for a minor fender bender if I let my mom borrow my car?

I let my elderly mother drive my car one time because hers broke down. She immediately backed into my cousin's car, which caused some minor damage. I have bare-minimum liability on the vehicle. Will my insurance cover it?

“Yes, your liability coverage will likely cover the damage. In many states, the minimum required level of property damage liability is $10,000, and it’s unlikely your mother caused more damage than that.
Since your rates will go up if you get a claim filed against you, offer to pay cash to your cousin. Tell them to get an estimate, and hopefully, you can afford to pay for the repairs out of pocket.
Keep in mind that your mother may be covered by “”permissive use,”” meaning your insurance policy covers her because she only drives your vehicle occasionally. If she’s going to continue to drive your car, make sure to put her on the policy.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 28, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies