How To Get a Kansas Motorcycle License

To get a motorcycle endorsement in Kansas, you must pass a written test and either a skills test or a state-approved Motorcycle Driver’s education course.
Written by Sarah Gray
Reviewed by Jessica Barrett
If you’re ready to drop down to two wheels in the state of Kansas, you’ll need to successfully complete a written skills test, and either a riding test or a Motorcycle Driver’s education course.
The state of Kansas allows drivers to obtain motorcycle-only permits and licenses or motorcycle endorsements for their driver's licenses. To simplify the process, the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) lays out specific guidelines, but even these can get a bit confusing at times. 
Here to walk you through the process to get a Kansas motorcycle license is
, the
car insurance
super app that can save you money on
Kansas car insurance costs
Compare insurance quotes from 50+ carriers with Jerry in under 45 seconds (It’s 100% free!)
Compare insurance quotes from 50+ carriers with Jerry in under 45 seconds
icon4.7/5 rating on the App Store | Trusted by 5+ million customers and 7 million cars
icon4.7/5 app rating | Trusted by 5M+ drivers

Do you need a license to operate a motorcycle in Kansas?

Yes. To legally operate a motorcycle in Kansas, you must obtain either:
  • A motorcycle (Class M) license endorsement, OR
  • A Class M instructional permit which will graduate into a Class M motorcycle-only license up completion of the requirements outlined below.
Riders must be at least 14 years old to begin the process of acquiring a Class M license or endorsement. Your motorcycle endorsement from any U.S. state allows you to legally ride your motorcycle in Kansas while visiting or to transfer your endorsement if moving. Just head to your local Kansas DOR office and:
  • Present a valid driver's license with motorcycle endorsement from your previous state.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay $12 for Class M endorsement, $8 photo fee, and $3 exam fee.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
Make safe driving pay
Get rewarded for safe driving. Earn points and unlock benefits. Totally free.
Start earning now

How to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Kansas driver’s license

Getting a motorcycle (Class M) endorsement on your license in Kansas is a fairly straightforward process. 
If you’re under 17, you’ll need to first obtain a restricted instructional permit and complete 50 hours of supervised riding instruction. You also need to either pass a state-approved Motorcycle Driver’s education course or an on-cycle driving skills test to earn your unrestricted Class M license. 
Those 18 and over should make an
at any Kansas
driver’s license exam station
  • Present proof identify and residence.
  • Pass a knowledge test based on information found in the Kansas
    motorcycle manual
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Either pass an on-cycle driving skills test or a
    Motorcycle Driver’s education course
  • Pay a Class M endorsement fee of $20 for riders under 21, $12 for riders age 21 to 65, and $9 for riders 65 and older.
  • Pay an additional $8 photo fee and $3 exam fee.
kemper logo
Jerry Rating
See rates
nationwide logo
Jerry Rating
See rates
progressive logo
Jerry Rating
See rates
travelers logo
Jerry Rating
See rates
rating reverse-full
"I’m earning
awesome rewards
every week, just for driving safe!”

How to get a motorcycle-only license in Kansas

Obtaining an unrestricted motorcycle-only license in Kansas follows a three-step process for those 14 to 16, or a two-step process for those 16 and older that begins with an instruction permit.
To apply for a motorcycle instruction permit, head to your local
County Treasurer’s Office
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a written knowledge test.
  • Provide proof of identity, age, and residence.
  • Pay a $10 fee.
If you’re under 16, a parent or legal guardian must sign your permit application. 
Once you’ve held your Class M Instruction Permit for one year, and/or you’re at least 16 years old, you can apply for a Less Restricted Class M License for Minor Drivers. You’ll need to
submit an affidavit
verifying the completion of at least 50 hours of supervised riding, at least 10 of which were completed at night.
Then you’ll need to do one of the following:
Once you’ve held this restricted license for at least 6 months, and you either submit an affidavit confirming completion of at least 50 additional supervised hours of instruction OR you reach 17 years of age, the restrictions will be removed from your motorcycle-only license.

How to save on car and motorcycle insurance in Kansas

To ensure you’re well-protected, Kansas requires motorcyclists to carry
motorcycle insurance
. Though motorcycle insurance is typically
cheaper than car insurance
, it still represents an added cost to your annual premium. Luckily,
can help you lower your car insurance premium to help offset that added cost! 
A licensed broker
, Jerry does all the hard work of finding cheap quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. Jerry will even help you cancel your old policy.
And to ensure you always have the lowest rate, Jerry will send you new quotes every time your policy comes up for renewal, so you’re always getting the coverage you want at the best price. This level of service is why Jerry earned a 4.6/5 rating on the App Store, making it the top insurance app in the country.
saved me so much time and money! I went from $230 to $150, still with full coverage! The whole process was amazingly simple!” —Ronda S.
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store


Yes. Kansas requires riders to pass both written and riding skills tests to obtain their Class M certification.
Riding a motorcycle without the proper license in Kansas is a Class B misdemeanor, which carries a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to 6 months in jail.
No—Kansas requires all motorcycle riders to carry both
property damage liability
bodily injury liability
coverage to ride legally.
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry (It’s 100% Free)

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free