What Counts as Proof of Residency in New Mexico?

You can use a utility bill or bank statement as proof of residency in New Mexico, but personal mail won’t count.
Written by Claire Beaney
Reviewed by Jaya Anandjit
Bank statements, utility bills, official government mail, and pay stubs are all acceptable options for proof of residency in
New Mexico
To get a driver's license in New Mexico, you must show the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (NM MVD) proof that you reside there permanently. While additional I.D. documents, such as a state of New Mexico identification card or a U.S. passport, will be required to show your identity, you will also be asked to provide documents that prove your New Mexico address.

What documents can be used as proof of residency in New Mexico?

To obtain a
New Mexico driver's license
, you must present any MVD field office with three types of identification documents: 
  • One (1) proof of lawful identity and age (e.g., birth certificate, passport, or adoption records)
  • One (1) proof of identification number (e.g., Social Security card, W-2, or SSA-1099)
  • Two (2) proofs of residency (e.g., bank statements, pay stubs, or utility bills) 
To get a standard driver's license for the first time, you need one document proving your identity and age and two providing proof of residency. To change your name or physical/residence address, you must contact the entity that handles the documents you need.
The following documents can be used to meet the criteria for proof of residency:
  • Real property rental or purchase agreement (must be current)
  • Local property tax document (must be most current issued by County Assessor)
  • Utility bill (e.g. water, gas, electric, propane, internet, cable, satellite)—dated within 60 days of application
  • Bank, credit card, or mortgage monthly statement—dated within 60 days of application
  • Employment pay stub—dated within 60 days of application
  • Education institution document (e.g. transcript, report card, or enrollment confirmation)—dated within 60 days of application
  • City, county, state, tribal, or federal document attesting to NM residency—dated within 60 days of application
  • NM Medical Assistance Card with a letter from issuing agency with name and address, profile printout, or benefits award letter showing current benefits—dated within 60 days of application
  • NM Public Assistance Card with a letter from issuing agency with name and address, profile printout, or benefits award letter showing current benefits—dated within 60 days of application
  • Insurance bill, card, or binder—dated within 6 months of application and unexpired
You can get your New Mexico driver's license by presenting any of these documents to prove your New Mexico residency.
Remember: Any documents you use must be official or certified copies. You cannot use a photocopy of your driver's license or a copy of your property tax bill.

What documents do not qualify as proof of New Mexico residency for a standard driver’s license?

Although many forms of identification with a New Mexico address are accepted as proof of residency, there are some that are not. For example, you cannot use any of the following documents to fulfill the proof of residency requirement:
  • Bond receipts
  • Business card
  • Check cashing card
  • Club or fraternal organization membership card
  • College or university ID card
  • Unofficial (i.e. commercially produced) ID card
  • Department of Human Services (DHS) card
  • Fishing license
  • Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) card
  • Handwritten ID or employment card
  • Hunting license
  • Instruction permit or receipt 
  • International driving permit
  • Library card
  • Personal mail 
  • Ticket from a traffic citation or arrest
  • Loan papers from an unlicensed financial institution
  • Video club membership card

What qualifies for proof of identity in New Mexico?

As stated before, you’ll also need to provide two documents proving your lawful identity, age, and identification number. Here are items that can be used for proof of identity and age:
  • U.S. original or certified copy of birth certificate
  • U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
  • Affidavit of birth issued by any federally-recognized tribal nation’s vital records
  • Valid foreign passport including I-551 stamp OR Affixed U.S. Visa, along with an approved I94 form documenting the applicant's most recent admission to the U.S., valid and verified by the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System (SAVE)
  • Consular report of birth abroad forms issued by the U.S. Department of State: FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545
  • Documents issued by the Department of Homeland Security or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Permanent Resident Card I-551, Certificate of Naturalization DHS N-550 N-570, Certificate of Citizenship DHS N-560 N-561, or Valid Employment Authorization I-766 I-688B
For proof of identification number, you’ll need one of the following:
  • Social Security card (with full and complete number)
  • W-2 form
  • SSA-1099
  • Non-SSA 1099
  • Paystub
  • Foreign passport with visa and I-94
“The savings are real!
saved me almost $1,000 a year for my car insurance. Was I surprised? Yes. Was I happy? Yes!” —Sonia Z.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
icon savingsSaved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
icon savingsSaved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
icon savingsSaved $668 annually
Are you overpaying for car insurance?
Compare quotes and find out in 45 seconds.
Try Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings