Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What is classic car insurance?
- Arizona classic car insurance
- What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Arizona?
- The benefits of classic car insurance
- Coverage options for classic car insurance
- Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
Load full table of contents
In Arizona, cars are considered collectibles if they were manufactured at least 25 years ago. Arizona classic car insurance must include liability insurance and property damage liability insurance.
Insuring your classic car isn’t like insuring your regular day-to-day vehicle. You don’t drive the car as often, replacement parts can be difficult to locate, and it’s probably worth more than your average car—so you need specialty car insurance coverage.
To help you best protect your classic car, the insurance comparison shopping and broker app Jerry will break down everything you need to know about classic car insurance in Arizona.
What is classic car insurance?
Classic car insurance is designed specifically for classic or antique cars. Although classic car insurance has many of the same coverages as a standard auto insurance policy, it also comes with extra limitations, such as mileage caps and maintenance requirements.
What is a classic or antique car?
A classic car is a vehicle that is between 10 to 24 years old and has historic interest, such as a muscle car or hot rod.
An antique car is 25 years or older and has historic interest. As far as insurers are concerned, a classic car that is more than 25 years old is considered an antique.
What makes classic car insurance different?
One of the key differences is the value of the car. Every classic car is unique, so there is no set "book value" for specific makes and models.
You’ll have to come to an agreement with your insurance provider about your car’s value. This will be written into your policy and your car will be covered up to that value without depreciation.
There are a few other aspects of classic car insurance that make it unique from the insurance you buy for your everyday vehicle:
- Price: Classic car coverage is usually cheaper than regular car insurance.
- Limited use: Classic cars have a mileage cap and can only be used infrequently, such as for pleasure driving, exhibitions, shows, club activities, parades, and other activities.
- Storage: Classic cars must be stored in a secure facility, such as a locked garage.
- Condition: The car must be restored, maintained, and preserved in its original condition (or be undergoing restoration).
MORE: Classic car coverage
Arizona classic car insurance
To qualify for classic car insurance in Arizona, your car must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 25 model years old from original model date of manufacture
- Be inspected to verify its status, if required by the state
In Arizona, the minimum coverage stipulated for a classic car is as follows:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: $10,000
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever
What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Arizona?
Classic car insurance is usually less expensive than a regular car insurance policy. The price will vary, though, depending on the type of coverage you need for your classic car.
Here are the main factors that may impact your classic car insurance rate:
- Model year
- Stated or guaranteed value—more expensive cars cost more to insure
- Mileage—your premium will be higher the more your drive
- Customization—roadside assistance, flatbed towing, and spare parts coverage will raise your premium
- Your driving record—many companies only offer classic car insurance to drivers with spotless records
The benefits of classic car insurance
Regular car insurance isn’t enough to protect a classic or antique car against loss or damage. If the value of your car exceeds its original selling price, it may be labeled a collectible and you may require specialized classic car insurance.
Here are some of the main benefits to getting classic car insurance:
- Lower rates than regular vehicle insurance (often anywhere from 40% to 70% less)
- Higher coverage limits (often up to $500,000)
- Flexible deductibles and annual mileage limitations
- Guaranteed or agreed value coverage
- Plenty of optional add-ons, including towing with flatbed trucks and spare parts & memorabilia coverage
- Discounts for adding more security features, such as alarms, GPS tracking, and VIN etching
- Claims handling from fellow car enthusiasts
- Potential discounts on collector car club memberships
Coverage options for classic car insurance
Your classic car insurance package will depend on the type of car you have and what you’ll need to safeguard it.
Here are some common coverages for classic cars:
|Comprehensive||Covers damage that isn’t the result of a collision, such as from severe weather or vandalism.|
|Collision||Covers damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle or stationary object.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Covers damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have auto insurance.|
|Agreed value coverage||If you’re in a covered accident and your classic car is a total loss, you’ll receive the full agreed-upon value (minus your deductible) without any deduction for depreciation.|
|Flexible mileage||Tiered mileage plans give you the flexibility to customize your policy based on how much you actually drive your classic car.|
|Roadside assistance||Coverage for tire changes, towing, and other incidental expenses that aren’t part of a typical auto insurance policy.|
|Spare parts||Add coverage for loss or damages to classic spare parts—even ones that are expensive or hard to find.|
Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
If you’re searching for classic car insurance in Arizona at a great rate, use the insurance broker and comparison shopping app Jerry. It’s the simplest, most effective way to find a policy that is tailored for you.
After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best classic car insurance policies across providers, Jerry handles all the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top pick so that you don’t have to bother with that tedious work!
Jerry partners with over 50 top insurance carriers to get you the best coverage for the most affordable price. The best part? The average Jerry driver saves nearly $900 on car insurance per year!
"This app is all about savings! Jerry just saved me $193/month on my car insurance. They literally found me the cheapest policies out there and with better coverage! Seriously, just sit back and watch Jerry work its magic." —Rachel B.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
Saved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
Saved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
Saved $668 annually