What type of home insurance do I need for natural disasters?

I have an HO-2 homeowners policy. I know that only certain things are covered, but does that include natural disasters?

“An HO-2 homeowners policy covers 16 named perils. These named perils do include some natural disaster events, but not all of them. They are:
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Windstorm
  • Hail
  • Volcanic eruption
Apart from these, no other natural disasters are covered. Unlike comprehensive coverage for your vehicle, HO-2 policies require a separate endorsement or policy for earthquakes or flooding.
Most home insurance policies allow you to add an endorsement for earthquakes. This would be an additional coverage on your policy for damage done to your home by an earthquake or earth movement. You may be able to find quotes for these online.
Flood insurance is not available through standard home insurance policies. All coverage is written through the National Insurance Flood Program. If you need flood coverage or more information, reach out to your current carrier.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 29, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.