What type of car insurance am I required to have for a financed car in California?

I'm trying to figure out what car insurance I'm supposed to have for a financed car. Is there a minimum that's required in California? WIll car insurance companies know what the requirements are?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 17, 2021
“Apart from California’s minimum coverage car insurance that’s required for any car on the road, car insurance companies won’t know what coverage you’re required to have.
Most lenders require that the financed vehicle carry both collision car insurance and comprehensive insurance. Occasionally, they will require specific liability car insurance coverage limits as well.
When you sign your finance agreement, your lender should provide you with the specifics of the coverage required. If they don’t, ask them directly about coverage you’re required to have. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies