What should I do if I'm borrowing a car that doesn't have any insurance?

My aunt said I could borrow her car for as long as I need to. However, she doesn't have car insurance on it. What can I do to protect myself if I get into an accident or get pulled over?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 09, 2021
“You have two options if you want to protect yourself while borrowing your aunt’s vehicle. Either purchase insurance for the vehicle or get a non-owners car insurance policy.
If you decide to purchase insurance for your aunt’s vehicle, your aunt will need to be the name insured on the policy as she is the registered owner. You would then be listed as an additional driver. This would give you protection if you got into an accident.
If your aunt doesn’t drive the vehicle and doesn’t want insurance, you can get a non-owners policy. A non-owners policy provides you with coverage on any vehicle that you drive or borrow. It is specifically created for anyone who does not own a vehicle personally, but may borrow others’ vehicles.
Most major carriers, like The General, offer non owners policies.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies