What do all the different types of car insurance packages mean?
I'm buying car insurance for the first time and I have no idea what to buy. I drive a 2008 Nissan Xterra that has no money owed on it. What insurance do I need and what does all of it mean?
Apr 28, 2021
Answer provided by
Answered at Apr 28, 2021
Types of InsuranceLiability CoverageCar Insurance
“Here is a basic rundown of common coverage types:
- Liability coverage pays for damage to other vehicles and other people’s medical bills when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Collision coverage pays for damage to your car in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your vehicle that wasn’t the result of a collision.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for your medical bills and property damage if you’re hit by a person without insurance or with low-limit coverage.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) pays for your medical bills and lost wages after a car accident.
There are a few other types of coverage you can choose, but these are the most important.
Now that you know what they are, here’s where you need to choose.
Liability coverage is legally required in most states. Just try to avoid buying the state-minimum coverage, as it may not fully cover you in the event of an accident. PIP is also required in 13 states.
If you can’t afford to pay for damage to your car, but you can afford the monthly payment, include collision and comprehensive coverage in your policy.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also nice to have in case another driver hits you and they can’t cover your costs.”
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How much coverage can I expect to get for my solar panels in FL?
"I'm a Florida resident and I’m in the process of installing solar panels on my roof. I want to insure the panels under my homeowners policy. How much coverage can I expect to get from insurance companies that operate in Florida? "
Apr 09, 2021
What is the cheapest way to insure a vehicle to be used with Turo?
I want to get a car to rent out through Turo, but I am crunching the numbers and the price of insurance will be too much for me to make any profit. I would be paying over $280 per month just for liability. Can I register the car using Turo insurance?
Apr 26, 2021