What do all the different types of car insurance packages mean?
I'm buying car insurance for the first time and I have no idea what to buy. I drive a 2008 Nissan Xterra that has no money owed on it. What insurance do I need and what does all of it mean?
Answer provided by
Answered on Apr 28, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“Here is a basic rundown of common coverage types:
- Liability coverage pays for damage to other vehicles and other people’s medical bills when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Collision coverage pays for damage to your car in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your vehicle that wasn’t the result of a collision.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for your medical bills and property damage if you’re hit by a person without insurance or with low-limit coverage.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) pays for your medical bills and lost wages after a car accident.
There are a few other types of coverage you can choose, but these are the most important.
Now that you know what they are, here’s where you need to choose.
Liability coverage is legally required in most states. Just try to avoid buying the state-minimum coverage, as it may not fully cover you in the event of an accident. PIP is also required in 13 states.
If you can’t afford to pay for damage to your car, but you can afford the monthly payment, include collision and comprehensive coverage in your policy.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also nice to have in case another driver hits you and they can’t cover your costs.”
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Why is the insurance so expensive for a 23-year-old on a Dodge Challenger?
I want a 2019 Dodge Challenger. I'm 23 years old with a spotless driving record. Why is my insurance so expensive?
Apr 23, 2021
Can I switch my car insurance to a new vehicle without a lapse in policy?
I recently traded in my vehicle to a dealership and got a new ride. But I totally forgot to switch the policy until days later. Can I switch my car insurance to the new vehicle or will it cause a lapse in coverage?
Apr 16, 2021