What car insurance coverage do I need if I'm active-duty military?

I'm active duty and I have Tricare. Can I skip medical payments or PIP? What type of car insurance do I need?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
“Regardless of whether you’re in the military or not, in most states, every person driving on the road is required to carry at least the state minimum car insurance. Depending on where you live, this coverage can vary.
Most experts recommend carrying limits of at least $100,000/$300,000 for bodily injury liability and $100,000 for property damage liability.
Some states also require you to have personal injury protection or medical payment coverage on an insurance policy. Even if your state doesn’t require it, it never hurts to have additional coverage.
Most health insurance is considered to be secondary coverage. This means if you get into an accident, your health insurance company may require you to submit a claim with your car insurance company before they cover anything. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies