What are the common requirements to get a car loan?
I'm going to apply for my first car loan soon. What requirements will I face as an applicant?
If you have bad credit, you may be required to provide more information than an applicant with good credit. Over time, these requirements have become standard for prospective borrowers who want to be approved for a car loan:
- Proof of income: Most commonly shown via a current pay stub.
- Proof of residence: You can, for example, show a utility bill at your address in your name.
- Proof of identity: A valid driver’s license or state-issued photo ID is required. A license is also required to drive the car off the lot.
- Proof of a working phone: A landline or mobile phone bill in your name at your address is sufficient for this.
- List of personal references: Lenders may ask for three to five personal references and their contact information. Your references may not be contacted, but their info will be kept on file in case verification is required down the road.
- Down payment: Most lenders require a down payment. Borrowers with excellent credit usually have a lower requirement, or they may not have to provide a down payment at all. Someone with poor or short credit history is usually required to put more money down — at least 10% of the sales price for the car.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Can you explain how car insurance payments work?
Specifically, I'm wondering if I have to pay all at once or in monthly installments.
Apr 12, 2021
Is 8% a good APR for a first-time car buyer?
"My car finally died on me, so I found a Honda Civic. The loan I got was $22,000 for 72 months at 8%. My credit score is 630. Is this is a good loan, or should I refinance ASAP?"
Jun 07, 2021
What does a voluntary surrender of a car loan mean?
What does a voluntary surrender mean? I got laid off a month ago and I can't pay for my car loan. My family told me to voluntarily surrender my car to avoid a hit to my credit.
Jul 12, 2021