What are the common requirements to get a car loan?
I'm going to apply for my first car loan soon. What requirements will I face as an applicant?
Answer provided by
Answered on Mar 12, 2021
If you have bad credit, you may be required to provide more information than an applicant with good credit. Over time, these requirements have become standard for prospective borrowers who want to be approved for a car loan:
- Proof of income: Most commonly shown via a current pay stub.
- Proof of residence: You can, for example, show a utility bill at your address in your name.
- Proof of identity: A valid driver’s license or state-issued photo ID is required. A license is also required to drive the car off the lot.
- Proof of a working phone: A landline or mobile phone bill in your name at your address is sufficient for this.
- List of personal references: Lenders may ask for three to five personal references and their contact information. Your references may not be contacted, but their info will be kept on file in case verification is required down the road.
- Down payment: Most lenders require a down payment. Borrowers with excellent credit usually have a lower requirement, or they may not have to provide a down payment at all. Someone with poor or short credit history is usually required to put more money down — at least 10% of the sales price for the car.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Browse by topics
What others are asking
If I get car insurance after an accident to report my coverage details to police, will I avoid being penalized for driving uninsured?
I offered to pay out of pocket after an accident since I don't have insurance, but the other driver insisted on calling police. The officer said he'd mail me a form to fill out with my insurance details. If I get insurance now and fill out the form, will I avoid penalties for driving uninsured?
Feb 22, 2021
What is the minimum credit score I need to qualify for a car loan?
I need to borrow money to buy a car, but I don't know if my credit score is good enough. What's the lowest score I can have to qualify for a loan?
Mar 12, 2021