"The state says that they are going to suspend my license—is there anything I can do? "

I forgot to pay for my car insurance. Once I realized this, I made my payments and started my policy up again right away. But the Arkansas DMV mailed me a letter stating that since I didn't maintain coverage, my license will be suspended. What can I do?

“Maintaining your insurance is crucial, and it is great that you started your policy again right away. This could work out in your favor.
Arkansas does allow for “”hardship”” licenses. A hardship license is granted when the state suspends your license from standard driving, and it will allow you to drive to school, seek medical care, and work so you can keep your job.
If this is your first infraction, ask the clerk at the DMV if this is an option for you. Let them know that your insurance was started again and bring your insurance ID to show proof of coverage.
If they do not allow you to apply for a hardship license, then your driving will be suspended for a certain amount of time.
Check with your insurance carrier to see if you can put your car on a storage plan during this time. A storage plan would remove all the liability coverage and collision coverage, and only comprehensive coverage would remain for perils like fire, theft, and vandalism. This way, you can save some money while waiting to drive again. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store