How do you keep your car engine clean?
What’s the best way to keep your car engine as clean as possible? I’m trying to be a more responsible car owner, and I feel like maintaining the engine is a part of that.
Great job stepping up and taking care of your car! And you’re right—making sure your engine stays clean is a big part of car maintenance.
Follow these steps to keep your engine clean at home:
- Pop the hood and remove plastic covers from your engine block. They should be cleaned separately.
- Remove or unplug your battery so you don’t damage it or hurt yourself. Start by unplugging the negative lead.
- Cover your battery, ignition wires, and other delicate areas with plastic bags to keep them safe from damage during the cleaning process.
- Spray the entire engine block with a degreaser as thoroughly as possible—really soak it all.
- Scrub your engine with a synthetic brush until it starts looking clean. Avoid metal brushes—they can damage some of the smaller engine components.
- Rinse the engine block with a regular hose or a pressure washer set to low. Try not to spray the electrical components directly.
- Dry everything with a towel. You can use compressed air for the hard-to-reach cracks and crevices.
- Replace all the covers and battery (starting with the positive lead), shut your hood, and hit the road!
- Regularly repeat the whole process.
Car maintenance isn’t a one-time gig—it’s a process you need to repeat regularly. Giving your engine a quick degrease once every year or two can stop it from getting too dirty in the first place. Plus, clean engines are less likely to breakdown.
If you’re already taking the time to clean your engine, take an extra minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, Jerry can help you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. If you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How to get a free car seat?
Is there any way to get free car seats for your kids? As a parent, I’m really big on safety—but I’m also big on budgeting. I’d like to get a good car seat for my daughter, but they’re so expensive. If there are any ways to get them cheaper or for free in California, I’d love to hear about them.
Nov 11, 2021
How do you wash your car's carpet at home?
What’s the best way to wash your car carpets from home? My kids are very talented when it comes to messing up my car. I’ve had the carpets professionally cleaned three times in the last month, and I can’t afford to keep doing it. I need some home cleaning solutions.
Nov 11, 2021
How do you park a car straight?
I’m taking my driver’s test in a week and still haven’t gotten the parking thing figured out. I really need to pass this time! I’m freaking out! What’s the easiest way to park a car straight?
Nov 11, 2021