How do you buy a car insurance policy?
I need to get new car insurance, and I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal. What’s the best way to buy insurance?
You can buy a car insurance policy through a broker, agent, or directly from a provider.
But keep in mind that buying coverage is much easier than finding a good deal. Here are a few steps you should take to make sure you get the best possible rate:
- Step 1: Decide on the coverage you want. Knowing what you want before you start asking for quotes will help you get a more accurate estimate of how much car insurance will cost. If you aren’t sure what you want, you can start by looking at your state’s minimum insurance requirements.
- Step 2: Gather the information you need. You’ll need to know your VIN, car make/model, mileage, prior insurance information, and personal information to get an accurate quote.
- Step 3: Gather quotes. Get quotes from at least three insurance providers and compare the offers.
- Step 4: Pick a provider. Your cheapest option won’t always be your best. Consider your needs and pick a company that you feel will best meet them.
- Step 5: Buy your new policy and cancel your old one. Only cancel your old policy once you have a new one. Lapses in coverage can lead to increased car insurance rates.
If this sounds like too much work, you can always make it easier with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you gather and compare quotes from the top insurance providers in minutes. Jerry can even help you purchase your new plan and cancel your old policy. All you need to do is pick the coverage that works best for you, and Jerry will do the rest!
MORE: Is the Jerry app legit?
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Where should I get a car loan?
I want a new car. I didn't need a loan for my last car, but I'll have to get one this time. Where's the best place to get a car loan?
Oct 26, 2021
How much will you have to pay for car insurance?
I got into a car accident a few weeks ago but my insurance hasn't changed yet. I'm expecting my rate to bump up but I don't know by how much. How do you calculate car insurance?
Oct 26, 2021
How do you reduce your car mileage?
Is there any way to reduce your car mileage? I feel like my car is just eating up gas, and I need it to be more cost-effective.
Oct 26, 2021