How do I get an SR22 if I don't have a car to insure yet?

I was involved in an accident a few years back. I had my license suspended and I need an SR22 to get it back. I am thinking about buying a car. How can I get insurance without a car?

“Don’t worry, this is a very common situation and you have a couple of options. Whether you are working with a dealership or a private seller, as long as you have the VIN of the car you are purchasing, you can start a policy.
This will allow your insurance carrier to provide you or the DMV with your SR22 certificate. If the deal for the car falls through, then you can cancel this policy and restart the process when you find a new car.
If you are still in the process of shopping, then you will want to get non owners car insurance. It is designed for people who do not own a car, but may rent or borrow vehicles from time to time. Once you purchase a car, you can convert the non owners policy to a standard policy. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free