How can I insure my collector car if it is my only car?

I bought a 1973 Volkswagen Thing to drive in parades and to car shows. I am having a hard time getting insurance for this car. All the companies say I need a "daily driver," but I don't have another vehicle, nor do I need one. What should I do?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“In most cases, you would be able to place your vehicle with an insurance carrier specializing in classic car insurance and collector vehicles, like Hagerty or Grundy.
However, since you mentioned you don’t have a “”daily driver,”” they may not accept your Volkswagen. Usually, collector carriers will only write a policy if you already have an underlying policy for your regularly driven car
Reach out to The Hartford; they may provide a liability policy and possibly full coverage with a stated or agreed value.
The other option is to find a local insurance broker. Once they have the specifics and understand your situation, they can negotiate a policy on your behalf with the correct carrier.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies