Do I need to call the other driver's insurance adjuster to give a statement after a collision?

"My parents and I were in an accident; we're not at fault. We did go to the hospital with minor injuries.

Our adjuster told me that I need to call the other driver's adjuster to give a statement. He also said to file a claim with their insurance for medical. Is this normal? "

“If you’re feeling uncomfortable about giving a statement to the other party’s adjuster or filing a claim with their insurance, you should reach out to your insurance company directly.
While it is normal to give a statement to an adjuster, you can confirm with your insurance company that it’s okay to do so.
Since you’ve reported the accident to your insurance company, you should also confirm they haven’t already filed a claim with the other party’s insurance. If your insurance covered any of your medical bills or expenses with medical payment coverage or personal injury protection, they may already be trying to recover those costs.
If not, you will need to file a claim with the other driver’s insurer to receive a payout from the at-fault party’s bodily injury liability and property damage liability.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free