Do I need gap insurance or replacement cost coverage for my Hyundai Sonata?

I'm buying my first car and my insurance company is including new car replacement coverage. The dealership is also offering me gap insurance. Both would provide coverage for five years, which is the length of the loan. Do I need either of them? What is the difference?

Gap insurance and new car replacement insurance are two coverages you should consider when purchasing a new car.
Gap insurance covers the difference if you owe more on your loan than the value of your vehicle.
New car replacement coverage ensures that if your vehicle is deemed a total loss, you’ll receive a payout that enables you to buy a a comparable vehicle. New vehicles can depreciate 35% within the first year, so adding this coverage can be a good idea.
To decide if you need either, you’ll want to look at the amount you’re financing and what your vehicle is worth. If you’re concerned about paying your loan, you’ll want gap insurance. If you would want a similar car if your vehicle is totaled, you’ll want to go with new car replacement coverage. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 07, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free