Do I need car insurance with a learner's permit?

I am an adult (24) learning to drive for the first time. I live with my S.O., who has AAA, and I want to practice driving with his car. Do I need to purchase my own car insurance policy first?

“Regardless of your age, you will need car insurance when learning to drive. The easiest option is to be on your significant other’s car insurance policy. Since you’ll be driving his vehicle, being on his AAA policy will ensure you’re protected.
While car insurance typically follows the vehicle, regularly driving a car without being on a policy can result in a claim denial if there’s an accident.
Since all new drivers are high-risk, being on a policy alone could be significantly more expensive than being listed on your significant other’s. Adding you to his policy will likely increase his premium, but it should be less than the cost of your own.
If your partner adds you to their policy and the rate does increase, shop around. Insurance companies offer different rates for new drivers, so you may be able to find a lower rate elsewhere.
You can request quotes online or use the Jerry. Jerry does all the hard work of comparing quotes from the top 50 providers and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes for free.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Sep 14, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.