Do I need an occupancy permit to get homeowners insurance?

I'm in the process of renovating my new home while I live in a rental. The insurance company wants to inspect the property before offering me insurance. Do I need an occupancy permit to get the insurance?

“Yes, you’ll need an occupancy permit to get homeowner’s insurance.
If you can’t get an occupancy permit, you may need a specialty insurance product known as vacant or unoccupied homeowner’s insurance.
Vacant/unoccupied insurance can be pricey because vacant homes are considered higher-risk. They’re more prone to break-ins, and if a fire were to happen, it would take longer for someone to notice.
If possible, you might want to delay the inspection until you’re done with your renovations. Doing so should help you get the occupancy permit, secure homeowner’s insurance, and prevent a host of problems.
If you would like help finding the right kind of coverage for your home, use Jerry. Jerry is a free app that compares quotes from the top companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Aug 13, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free