Can gap insurance cover the remaining balance of my new car's loan that is from an extended warranty?

I was recently in an accident that totaled my brand-new car. My insurance company valued my car at the cost I paid for it. However, I did purchase an extended warranty at the dealership. They rolled it into my loan so I still owe $1,800. Will the gap insurance I paid for cover this?

Gap insurance is used to cover the difference between the actual cash value of your vehicle and the amount you owe on your loan. Since the extended warranty was an additional add-on to your loan, gap insurance typically won’t cover this cost.
As the vehicle is totaled and the warranty will be canceled, you may be able to receive a refund for it. You can reach out to the lender and dealership to confirm the terms and conditions of both your gap insurance and extended warranty.
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies