Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What is classic car insurance?
- Massachusetts classic car insurance
- What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Massachusetts?
- Benefits of classic car insurance
- Coverage options for classic car insurance
- Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
Load full table of contents
In Massachusetts, cars are considered antique if they are at least 25 years old and carry Commonwealth-issued antique registration plates. Massachusetts classic car insurance must include liability insurance and uninsured motorist coverage.
Insuring an antique or classic car isn’t like insuring the car you drive to work every morning. You don’t drive an antique car as often, replacement parts can be difficult to find, and a classic car is probably worth more than your average vehicle—so you need specialty car insurance coverage.
To help you figure out how to best protect your classic car, the car insurance broker and comparison shopping app Jerry will explain everything you need to know about classic car insurance in Massachusetts.
What is classic car insurance?
Classic car insurance provides coverage designed to protect classic or antique cars. Although classic car insurance has many of the same coverages as a standard auto insurance policy, it also carries extra limitations, such as mileage caps and maintenance rules.
What is a classic or antique car?
Typically, a classic car is 10 to 24 years old and has historic interest, like a muscle car or a hot rod.
An antique car is 25 years or older and has a historic interest. For insurance purposes, insurers consider a classic car more than 25 years old an antique.
What makes classic car insurance different?
One of the main differences is the value of the car. As each classic car is unique, there is no set “book value” for specific makes and models.
You’ll have to come to an agreement with your insurance carrier about your classic or antique car’s value. This will be written into your policy and your car will be covered up to that value without depreciation.
Some other things make classic car insurance distinct from the insurance you buy the family station wagon:
- Price: Classic car coverage is usually cheaper than regular car insurance.
- Limited use: Classic cars typically have a mileage cap and can be used only for the occasional pleasure drive, exhibitions, shows, club activities, parades, and other similar activities.
- Storage: Classic cars must be stored securely, preferably in a locked garage or parkade.
- Condition: The car must be restored, maintained, and preserved in its original condition (or be undergoing restoration).
MORE: Classic car coverage
Massachusetts classic car insurance
To be eligible for classic car insurance in Massachusetts, your car must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 25 model years old
- Be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, functions of public or historic interest, as well as being driven to and from repair appointments
- Not be used for transportation of passengers or goods in any way
- Motorcycles are also eligible for classic car insurance in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts, the minimum coverage required for a classic car is as follows:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $20,000 per person / $40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: $5,000
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage: $20,000 per person / $40,000 per accident
What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Massachusetts?
For the most part, classic car insurance is usually cheaper than a standard car insurance policy. The price will depend on the type of coverage you require.
Here’s what else can impact your classic car insurance rate:
- Model year
- Stated or guaranteed value—more expensive cars carry pricier rates
- Mileage—the more you drive, your premium will be higher
- Customization—roadside assistance, flatbed towing, and spare parts coverage will boost your premium
- Your driving record—many companies will only offer classic car insurance to drivers with clean records
Benefits of classic car insurance
Regular car insurance isn’t designed to protect a classic or antique from loss or damage. If the value of your car exceeds its original selling price, it may be deemed a collectible and you may require specialized classic car insurance to cover it.
Here are some of the main advantages to protecting your antique car with classic car insurance:
- Lower rates than standard car insurance (often anywhere from 40% to 70% less)
- Higher coverage limits (often up to $500,000)
- Negotiable deductibles and annual mileage limits
- Guaranteed or agreed value coverage
- Lots of optional add-ons, such as towing with flatbed trucks and coverage for spare parts and memorabilia
- Discounts for additional security features, such as GPS tracking, VIN etching, and alarms
- Claims handling from fellow car enthusiasts
- Potential discounts on collector car club memberships
Do I require classic car insurance?
If you are the proud owner of any of the following vehicles, you likely need specialty insurance coverage:
- Antique & classic cars
- Modern collector vehicles
- Modified vehicles
- Vintage boats
- Motorsports vehicles
- Classic trucks and utility vehicles
- Vintage motorcycles and scooters
- Collector trailers
- Retired commercial vehicles
- Vehicles under construction
- Antique tractors
- Classic military vehicles
Coverage options for classic car insurance
Your classic car insurance package will depend on the type of car you have and what you need to protect it.
Here are some common coverages for classic cars:
|Comprehensive||Covers damage that isn’t the result of an accident, such as from extreme weather, theft, animal damage, or vandalism.|
|Collision||Covers damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle or fixed object.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Covers damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have car insurance or a driver who doesn’t carry enough coverage to cover your damages.|
|Agreed value coverage||If you’re in a covered accident and your classic car is totaled, you’ll receive the full agreed-upon value (minus your deductible) without any deduction for depreciation.|
|Flexible mileage||Tiered mileage plans give you the flexibility to tailor your policy based on how much you actually drive your classic car.|
|Roadside assistance||Coverage for tire changes, towing, and other incidental expenses that aren’t part of a typical auto insurance policy.|
|Spare parts||Add coverage for loss or damages to classic spare parts—even ones that are expensive or hard to find.|
Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
If you’re searching for classic car insurance in Massachusetts at an affordable rate, use Jerry, the internet’s best car insurance broker and comparison shopping app. It’s the easiest, most effective way to secure a policy that is customized for you.
After providing you with a thorough list of the best classic car insurance policies across insurance companies, Jerry will handle the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top policy pick so that you don’t have to!
Jerry partners with 50+ top insurance providers, such as Progressive and Travelers, to get you the best coverage for the most affordable price. The best part? The average Jerry driver saves almost $900 on car insurance a year!
“This app is all about savings! Jerry just saved me $193/month on my car insurance. They literally found me the cheapest policies out there and with better coverage! Seriously, just sit back and watch Jerry work its magic.” —Rachel B.