Will my insurer give me a new car if my current car is totaled?

Will my insurer buy me a new car if the old one gets totaled? I was wondering if my car insurance will provide me with a new car if I'm in an accident, but I can't get a consensus answer.

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Jul 21, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“If you’re not at fault and have liability coverage only, the other driver’s insurance will give you fair value, or actual cash value, for your car.
You typically use this to pay off your loan and can do whatever you want with any leftover money.
To get a new car if your original car is totaled, you’ll need to have new car replacement insurance, which is typically only available if you already have comprehensive and collision insurance.
This type of insurance will buy you a new car of the same make and model, or it will offer around 120% of the value of your current car before it was totaled.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies