What's the difference between uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage?

Why do I need both uninsured and underinsured coverages on my policy? It seems like they cover the same things.

“In most states that require uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you are required to carry both. While they are similar in name, they do cover two different situations.
Uninsured motorist coverage covers your injuries if an uninsured driver is at fault in an accident. Since they don’t have bodily injury liability to cover your injuries, your own insurance would cover your medical expenses.
Underinsured motorist coverage covers your injuries if a driver doesn’t have enough coverage when they’re at fault. If a driver has $25,000 in bodily injury coverage but your expenses are $30,000, your underinsured motorist coverage would cover the remaining amount.
Without these coverages, you would likely need to pursue legal action against the at fault driver for damages.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 09, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies