What is the difference between underinsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist property damage?

Are these two types of coverage important? Do they cover the same things or are they different?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
Underinsured motorist coverage is a type of car insurance that covers bodily injury if you or your passengers are hurt by a driver with low liability limits. Should you get injured and your medical bills exceed the other driver’s insurance liability limits, your own underinsured motorist coverage can help pay for your expenses.
The same applies to underinsured motorist property damage. If your vehicle’s damage exceeds the other driver’s limits, your coverage can kick in to help cover the repairs.
You may often see underinsured motorist coverage combined with uninsured motorist coverage. This means that you would also be protected from someone who does not have any insurance at all.
Underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage coverage is important as it is another way to protect yourself, your passengers, and your vehicle. Being properly insured is the easiest way to protect yourself on the road. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies