What is better for my 2018 Audi, collision coverage or uninsured motorist property damage?

I have the option of choosing either uninsured motorist property damage or collision coverage. My collision deductible would be $1,000. My uninsured motorist property damage would have a deductible, but it would be capped at $3,500. What would be better to add?

“When deciding whether to add collision coverage or uninsured motorist property damage, you’ll want to consider a few things.
If your vehicle was hit by an uninsured motorist and totaled tomorrow, would you only want $3,500 for it? Or would you want to pay your $1,000 deductible and receive the actual cash value, which is the original price minus depreciation?
If you want the actual cash value of your vehicle, add collision coverage. While it does cost more, you would be covered in any situation, regardless of fault. If cost is a concern, you can raise your deductible to offset it.
While uninsured motorist property damage costs less, you are only covered if an at-fault uninsured driver causes damage to your vehicle. If you’d be happy with a payout of $3,500 in this situation, you can get uninsured motorist property damage.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free