What insurance do I need for a jet ski?

I just purchased a jet ski. What type of insurance do I need for it? Can I add it to my car insurance policy?

“To insure your jet ski, you’ll need a personal watercraft policy. This is also known as PWC insurance.
Personal watercraft insurance is very similar to car insurance and covers things like:
  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage
  • Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Uninsured watercraft operator
You’ll want to reach out to your car insurance company to determine whether they offer boat or personal watercraft insurance. If they do, you may be able to bundle your policies. Having multiple policies with one company can often get you a discount.
If your current company does not offer PWC insurance, you’ll need to shop around. Larger insurance companies like GEICO, Nationwide, and Progressive offer personal watercraft insurance. You can also look into local or regional companies in your area.
If you’re looking to bundle your car and PWC insurance, Jerry is a great tool to use—we’ll get you customized quotes from multiple different providers instantly so that you can choose the plan that works best for you. And if you need to switch to a new provider, we’ll even help you switch! That way, you can focus your time and energy where it matters: getting that jet ski out onto the water!”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 01, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.