In what order should I handle license, registration, and car insurance after an out-of-state move?

I moved from Oregon to Idaho and I don’t know what order to follow when changing my insurance, driver's license, and registration. How do I do it?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 26, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“Congrats on the move; I hope everything went well!
The exact procedure can vary from state to state, but your insurance company or local motor vehicle office will be able to offer guidance on what steps to take to make sure that everything goes smoothly for you.
In most cases, you will want to update your insurance first. This way, you can use your new insurance card to get the registration and the updated driver’s license.
Some states require you to surrender your current license plates to the DMV before you change the insurance, but Oregon does not. You can mail them, recycle them, or destroy them.
When moving to a new state, it is a good idea to get car insurance quotes online and familiarize yourself with the minimum car insurance requirements for your new home. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies