If my home is ruined, can I fight to get the maximum payout from my insurer?

"A huge tree fell on my house and the property's been deemed a complete loss. My home was insured for $210,000, but my insurance company is only willing to pay me $160,000. Do I have any grounds to fight them for the maximum payout of $210,000?


“If your insurance company is refusing to pay you the full amount that your home was insured for when you have a total loss, you do have grounds to fight them for the full payout.
When you obtain a homeowners insurance policy, there is a report run to calculate what it would cost to completely rebuild your home. Your insurance company would need to be able to provide you with sufficient evidence that the full amount they insured you for is not necessary to rebuild the home. They would also need to provide an explanation as to why it was insured for so much to begin with.
You can appeal your payout with the insurance company directly, get an appraiser to decide how much you’re owed, hire a mediator to come to an agreement with the insurance company, or, as a last resort, initiate a lawsuit. “
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Apr 07, 2021
Alexah Grinnell has been working in the insurance industry for 5 years with a primary focus of coverage consulting in the sales department. She has been working for Jerry Insurance since July of 2019 and has also has experience working for AAA and State Farm. She currently lives in Rochester, NY with her husband and 3 kids

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free