If I'm renting a small office space, do I need to get renters insurance or business insurance?

I'm looking into renting a small office since I'm sick of working from home. Am I supposed to get renters insurance or business insurance for this office?

“You would need to get a business policy to cover your office. There are business renters policies that you can buy that will cover your liability; they will also cover your office equipment for incidents like fire and theft.
Be sure to ask the owner of the office space what their policy covers. This way, you can cover any gaps that the owner’s policy leaves open. “
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 13, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free