How much of a discount can you get on electric cars in North Carolina?
I just graduated from the University of North Carolina (Go Heels!) and I’m planning on staying in town for an internship. I want to get an EV and I’ve heard that you can get a lot of car deals for living here. What kind of discounts can I get on electric cars in North Carolina?
Answer provided by
- Although EVs must undergo an annual safety inspection, NC **exempts electric vehicles **from the on-board diagnostic (OBD) emissions test. Hybrids are not exempt.
- As long as you drive the speed limit, you can **use the state’s high occupancy vehicle lanes **if you have a plug-in, fuel-cell, or natural gas vehicle.
- You can get plenty of auto insurance discounts that pertain to low-mileage, pay-as-you-drive, alternative fuel, hybrid autos, and economy cars. Some insurance companies may even offer up to 10% off for leasing or owning a hybrid.
- NC offers diesel emission reduction grants and rebates. Some owners have received thousands for buying and installing an auxiliary power unit (APU) on a sleeper berth truck.
- If you’re a taxpayer driving an alternative energy vehicle, you can also get a federal tax credit as a thank you for reducing your carbon footprint.