How do you remove a car radio without a din tool?
I’ve decided to upgrade my radio and need to remove the old one. The problem is I don’t have the right tools. Is there any good way for me to remove a car radio without a din tool?
While din tools can make it easier to remove your radio, they aren’t necessary! That said, you’ll need the following tools to remove your radio without a din tool:
- Plastic pry bar
- Two hangers, thin knives, or long pieces of wire
Once you’ve gathered the required materials, follow these steps to remove your radio:
- Disconnect the battery.
- For older vehicles, unscrew the bolts holding the trim in place and gently pry it from the dashboard.
- For newer vehicles, use a pry bar to carefully pull off the dashboard panel over the radio.
- Remove the clips holding the radio in place. If you can’t find them, check your owner’s manual for specific locations.
- Now slip both of your thin knives, wires, or hangers in the cracks on either side of the radio.
- Undo the clips at the same time by pushing them down—you should hear a click.
- Now that the clips are undone, you should be able to slide out the stereo!
Hopefully, those steps help you remove your radio! Remember, different cars may have different radios—as well as unique fasteners. While these instructions can generally help you learn to remove your radio, they may not apply to every vehicle.
Since you’re already taking the time to replace your radio, take an extra minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy!
MORE: Sound system coverage
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How long does it take to get approved through Tesla financing?
How long does it take to get approved through Tesla financing? I'm itching to get a new Tesla. I applied for financing yesterday, but I haven't heard anything back.
Nov 24, 2021
How many amps should a car battery have?
I need to buy a new car battery. I’m a bit overwhelmed, but keep seeing amps as an option. How many amps should a car battery have?
Nov 24, 2021
How do you fix your dead car battery?
The battery in my Toyota died yesterday. I need my car to get to work. How can I fix the dead battery?
Nov 24, 2021