How do I estimate insurance on a car?
How do I calculate how much my car insurance will cost? I know that the kind of car you drive is part of it, but what else do insurance companies use to figure out the price?
You’re right that the kind of car you drive will have a lot of influence on your insurance prices! Here are some other things to take into account.
To estimate insurance on a car, insurance providers will consider:
- Your personal information, including your driving record, age, marital status, gender, and location, can all influence your insurance rates. Even just moving zip codes can change your insurance premium.
- Your credit score can also have an effect on your rates in most states. Your insurer might look at your payment history, as well as any outstanding debt.
- The coverage you choose will affect the price of your insurance, too. More coverage means higher rates.
- Some cars cost more to insure than others, as well. But it’s not just because of the make and model! Other things can influence rates too, such as the retail price, the cost of the parts, and your car’s safety record. If your car is more likely to be stolen, it’ll usually cost more to insure.
- Your insurer will likely also look at your insurance history, including things like lapses, claims, and how long you’ve been with your current provider.
If you’d like to see how much you might pay for insurance without all the hassle, check out the Jerry app! Jerry can pull information from your current policy and collect personalized quotes from top providers in a matter of minutes so you can compare rates. That means no long phone calls, paperwork, or emails—just savings.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How long should a car run after getting a jump?
I missed an appointment this morning because my car wouldn't start. I called my friend to come jump my car. My car is running now, but I'm not sure if I can drive it yet. How long does it take to charge your battery after jumpstarting your car?
Oct 27, 2021
How do you find out what car insurance you’re with?
How do I find out what car insurance I have? I know laws can be different in each state, and I just moved to Illinois not too long ago.
Oct 27, 2021
How do you connect to Bluetooth in a Toyota Sienna?
How do you connect your phone to a Toyota Sienna? My kids like to listen to music when I drive—and I like it because it makes them way quieter! But I can't figure out how to connect via Bluetooth.
Oct 27, 2021