How do I change the power steering fluid on my Ford Explorer?
Can I change the power steering fluid on my Explorer by myself? My car is at 80,000 miles and I need to change my steering fluid, but I want to avoid taking it to a mechanic.
Maintenance tasks like changing your power steering fluid are best left to professionals to avoid damage to your vehicle. But, if you’re good with cars or like to try it yourself, then follow the steps below.
- First, identify what kind of fluid your vehicle needs. You can check your user’s manual for more information.
- Then, locate the proper reservoir in the engine area. It should be labeled with power steering fluid or feature a steering wheel icon.
- Use a vacuum pump or a large turkey baster to suck out the old fluid from your car.
- Locate the return line feeding into your power fluid reservoir. There are two lines on all steering fluid reservoirs—one for taking fluid out and the other for returning fluid in. The return line will be the one mounted above the other line.
- Remove the clap on the return line using a wrench to pull off the hose. Then, use a scrap piece of tube to seal off the return line temporarily.
- Remove any remaining fluid with your vacuum pump. Then, you can top off the reservoir with clean power steering fluid.
- Now, unseal your return line and reconnect the hose back with the clap. Close off your reservoir with its cap and turn on your engine.
- Rotate your steering wheel to the right and left several times, checking for any tightness or stiffness.
Once done, you should enjoy a smooth ride!
Understandably, maintenance is a costly expense. To help keep up with maintenance costs, try saving money with the Jerry app.
Jerry is your ultra-talented car insurance broker for life. It takes less than a minute to sign up, and you’ll be presented with competitive rates from up to 50 top providers.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you find a car you used to own?
Is there any way to find a car that I used to own a few years ago? The car holds a lot of sentimental value for me. I didn’t care much at the time, but I’d like to get it back if I can.
Nov 12, 2021
How do I connect my phone to my 2013 Honda CR-V?
I want to play my own music in my car, but I can't figure out how to connect my phone. How do I do it?
Nov 12, 2021
How do I sync my iPhone to my Tesla Model 3?
I just bought a Tesla Model 3, but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to sync my iPhone. Can you help me?
Nov 12, 2021