How do car insurance companies decide who is at fault for an accident?

"Who is at fault if we two cars back into each other? Recently, I collided with another vehicle in a shopping center parking lot while we were both backing up. When I submit a claim to my insurance company, I'm curious how they will determine which of us is at fault."

Answer provided by
avatar
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 28, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.
“The car insurance companies that insure each respective driver will work together to decide who is at fault for the accident.
Typically, they will assign faults as a percentage.
For example, you could be 60% at fault and the other driver 40%. In some claims cases, these percentages correspond with how much each insurance company pays for the damages; in other cases, the at-fault driver’s insurance pays for everything.
Insurers will analyze a variety of data to determine fault, such as:
  • police reports from the accident
  • driving laws
  • information provided by the drivers”
thumb-up

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
thumb-up

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

√
No long forms
√
No spam or unwanted phone calls
√
Quotes from top insurance companies