How can I check my Tesla battery health?
How can I check my Tesla’s battery health without going to a mechanic? I recently bought a used Tesla 3 and I want to make sure the battery is still in optimal condition.
Congrats on your new car! It’s great of you to purchase a more environmentally friendly vehicle.
To check your Tesla’s battery health, you’ll need to track its performance. Before we get into how to do that, there are some things you need to consider first:
- Your Tesla’s battery is similar to your phone’s. Batteries in all-electric vehicles slowly lose their ability to store energy over time—so do not expect your used vehicle to maintain the same charging capacity as a brand new one.
- On average, a Tesla 3 is expected to drop 2.9% in its charging capacity for every 10,000 miles.
So, based on that statistic, here’s how you can check your Tesla 3’s battery health without visiting a mechanic:
- Check your mileage: As mentioned, your vehicle’s battery health is expected to drop in accordance with its usage, so check how many miles your vehicle has been driven and subtract 3% off its battery life per 10,000 miles on the odometer.
- Use an app: Various apps like TeslaFi record your vehicle’s statistics, including charging capacity, yielding a more accurate range of your battery’s health based on the numbers gathered over the time it’s been used.
- Plot the numbers yourself: This might sound like a more long-term solution than an on-the-spot one, but charge your vehicle as usual and take note of the number of miles driven until it needs another charge. Do this every time you charge it, and you’ll be able to get a more in-depth understanding of its battery capacity.
Since electric vehicles are the newest rage—and technology—finding great insurance for a reasonable price can be tricky. But the Jerry app can help!
Jerry is an insurance comparison app that shops for low prices with over 50 different insurance companies for free. You will get quotes in seconds, can make changes at any time, and if you ever have any questions, agents are just a text away!
MORE: Tesla car insurance
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you find out who your car is insured with?
How do I find out who my car is insured with? This may sound weird, but I forgot who my insurance company is.
Oct 25, 2021
How do I know if my car has insurance?
How do I know if my car still has insurance? I don't remember paying for my insurance, and I’m worried that my car is not insured.
Oct 25, 2021
How do I check if I have car insurance on my car?
How do I check if my car has car insurance? I just recently got a divorce and I’m not sure if I still have insurance since we were on the same policy.
Oct 25, 2021