Does the gap insurance I purchased at the dealership provide coverage if my friend gets into an accident with my uninsured car?

My friend, who said they had their own car insurance, borrowed my uninsured car. They ended up getting into an at-fault accident and totaling my car. Turns out their own insurance expired, so they are uninsured as well. I have gap insurance; I'm wondering if it'll help me at all.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“While your gap insurance won’t help in this situation, it can be beneficial to have alongside an insurance policy. Gap insurance pays for the difference between what you owe on your loan and the actual cash value of your car.
However, it typically is a requirement that the vehicle is insured with full coverage. Most lenders want financed vehicles to carry comprehensive, collision, and liability insurance.
Car insurance also normally follows the car, not the driver. Even if your friend was insured, your car would still be uninsured without any coverage for damages or accidents. It’s important to always have car insurance on your vehicle, even if you don’t drive it very often.
Some insurance companies offer a low mileage or vehicle usage discount in addition to customizable coverage, so you can save on a policy while still being insured. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies