Does Progressive provide coverage in Canada?

I'm going to be driving through Canada this summer. I have US car insurance with Progressive. Will I be covered or do I need to get a special policy?

“When you have a policy with Progressive, your insurance will automatically provide coverage in Canada. Since you’re driving in the Great White North, you will not need a separate policy.
Since car insurance requirements and regulations are similar in the US and Canada, many insurance carriers’ coverage extends to Canada. However, it is a requirement that you are only visiting and not permanently relocating.
Before crossing into Canada, be sure you have a copy of your insurance declaration page and ID card in your vehicle. This will ensure there are no issues if anything should happen while you are there.
You may also want to call Progressive at 1-800-776-4737 to request a Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card to give to customs and border agents. This will simply make the process easier and doesn’t cost anything.
Before your road trip to Canada, you may want to consider alternative insurance policies so you’re covered in case of an accident, theft, or act of God. Hop on the Jerry app to compare rates from dozens of insurers.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Aug 16, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.